Houdini Tutorial : Tea & Cookies
$ 45.00 USD
Create the ‘Tea & Cookies’ image, all the way from modelling to render and even the final colour grading, entirely in Houdini, from scratch.
Houdini Tutorial : Tea & Cookies from Rohan Dalvi
The aim of this commercial training is to take you through the process of creating the “Tea and Cookies” image, all the way from modelling to render and even the final colour grading, entirely in Houdini, from scratch. This should help you gain a better perspective towards using Houdini as your primary tool for creating 3D content.
The training will take you through various aspects of Houdini including, Polygonal Modeling, Procedural modeling, Dynamics, Shader Building, Lighting, Rendering and Colour Grading.
The first half of the tutorial will cover the modelling of the entire scene while the second half deals with the lighting, shading and rendering of the final image.
Lesson Plan : Modelling
- Modelling the Jam Bowl – Basic Introduction to poly modeling in Houdini
- Modelling the Spoon – Using attributes and ramps to control poly modelling
- Modelling the Cup – procedural modeling of the cup. In 3b we will model the saucer
- Modelling the Tea – Extracting the tea liquid surface from the cup geometry
- Modelling the Cookie – Painting Attributes and adding displacement using VOPSOP to add details
- Copy Stamping & Cookies – Understanding the basics of copy stamping to creating copies of the cookie
- Modelling the Tray & the Crumbs – Using scatter and voronoi fracture for modelling
- Modelling the Jam – Using RBDs and VDB toolset for modeling
Lesson Plan : Light / Shade & Render
- Lighting the Scene – Adding lights and setting up the camera and the render engine
- HDRI – Adding an HDR for reflections and additional information about lights
- Material Basics – Understanding the capabilities and limitations of the Mantra Surface Shader
- Steel Material – Using the Material Shader builder to create the Steel shader and using textures to control various channels
- Plastic Tray – Making a plastic material for the tray. Learning how to use multiple UV channels. Adding bump mapping
- Porcelain – Using SSS to create a porcelain shader.
- Flooring Material – Learn how to mix multiple texture maps to create complex surfaces.
- Tea Material – Controlling material properties via Geometry Attributes. Using Absorption to create liquid shader
- Jam Material – Creating a shader for the jam. Using Caustics for better lighting
- Cookie Shader – Creating complex displacement to make the cookie material
- Colour Grading – Defining the look of the final render by using the compositing section of Houdini
Total Duration – 5 hours 23 minutes
Training Level – Beginner to Intermediate
NB The video training includes the .hip files.
REQUIREMENTS – It would be preferable to use Houdini 13 as there have been certain changes to the lighting interface in this version. At the very least, don’t use anything below Houdini 12.5 as there are tools that we use for modelling that are not available in the prior versions.
Houdini Tutorial : Tea & Cookies
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)