Houdini Tutorial : Texture Building & Materials from Rohan Dalvi
This training is primarily aimed at users ranging from a beginner to intermediate level. The main purpose of this training is to help users understand the texture and material building system in Houdini.
The topics covered in this training begin with a basic understanding of using colour maps in Houdini. We then take a look at all the various patterns and noise maps that are built-in to Houdini and use them for generating textures and displacement.
As we progress we also begin learning how to modify and distort UV maps to modify textures and also use the For Loop to generate complex repeating and random patterns. We end the lesson by building a simple custom shader using the base level physically based nodes that are available in Houdini.
All the topics are demonstrated by creating workable finished materials that can be used for production.
Lesson Plan : Texture Building
- Introduction – A simple introduction to Surface model and comparison to the vray material
- Bitmap – Understanding the basic color map in Houdini and recreating the 3dsmax bitmap functions in Houdini
- 2D Maps – Looking at a variety of 2d texture patterns available in Houdini
- 3D Maps – Using the various noise maps in Houdini which include, Turbulent noise, Worley and Voronoi cells and unified noise.
- 3D Maps (contd.) – Continuing from the previous lesson we look at a few more noise maps
- Glowing Cracks – Using the unified noise map to create a complex material and then making it emit light.
- Parquet Flooring – Learning how to mix and composite and color correct textures via a small project of creating a parquet flooring material.
- Marble Flooring – Creating a complex marble floor pattern using a variety of inbuilt maps to create a complex mask to mix textures together.
- UV Distort – In this lesson we shall see show the user can modify UV maps to create interesting texture patterns.
- UV Distort ( contd.) – We continue looking at different methods to distort UV maps and even take a look at how paint a custom UV map in Photoshop.
- For Loop– Leaning how to use the For Loop node to creat complex repeating and random patterns.
- Procedural Bricks – We use all the various things that we have learnt so far to create a fully procedural brick shader
- Procedural Marble Tiles – We will complete another small project by creating a fully procedural marble shader
- Point Colour & Ramps – Learning how to bring point color and point attributes into a shader and also how the ramp parameter works in Houdini.
- Switch Node & Other Stuff – Using the switch node to apply multiple textures or shaders to objects and also looking a few minor examples.
- Custom Shader – In the final lesson we will build a custom physically based shader using the physically based diffuse, specular and other nodes available in Houdini.
Duration – 4 hours 37 minutes
Training Level – Beginner to Intermediate
NB The video training includes the .hip files
REQUIREMENTS – Houdini 12 and above
Houdini Tutorial : Texture Building & Materials
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)