Houdini Tutorial : Floating Islands
$ 80.00 USD
Journey around the Floating Islands of Houdini & go through the process of creating them, from initial modeling to final render.
Houdini Tutorial : Floating Islands from Rohan Dalvi
The aim of this training is to take you through the process of creating the “Floating Islands” image, all the way from modeling to render.
The training covers various aspects including terrain modeling and sculpting, generating large quantities of plants and vegetation in Houdini. The plants and trees will be developed using L-Systems. The training will also cover Rigid Body Dynamics, Particles and Fluids to create certain elements of the image.
The tutorials will cover terrain modeling, modeling using the VDB tool set, creating grass using the fur procedural and a variety of creepers and vines on the island and the druid circle.
It will cover the basics of L-systems and will use that knowledge further to create plants, ferns and trees.
It will also cover the dynamics tool set such as RBD, creating custom forces to create the debris field, Fluids, particles and clouds, as well as the final material, lighting and compositing of the image.
- The Main Island – modeling the main island using a displacement, sculpting and noise maps
- The Druid Circle – modeling the stone circle using VDB tools
- Druid Circle wall – building the wall around the druid circle
- Curve Primitive – understanding how the various attributes required to render curves
- Fur Procedural – Understanding the basics of Fur procedural shop
- Island Grass – Using techniques learnt in the previous 2 chapters to create grass for the island
- Hanging vines – creating vines for the islands
- Vine Leaves – adding leaves to the vines
- Creepers – adding additional creepers and ivy on the island and the druid circle
- Island Base Details – adding roots and stuff to the base of the island
- Cloverfield – modeling a three leaf clover and creating a field of it
- Design Correction – Just correcting the design of the main island
- L-Systems Basics – Learning the basics of L-systems.
- Flowers – Modeling a flower and using L-systems to model the plant.
- Leaf – Using L-system to model a custom leaf
- Fern A – Making a complex fern using L-systems and creating multiple variations to scatter on the island
- Fern B – Creating a second variety of Fern
- Tree – Modeling a complex tree using L-systems
- Island Colour – Building the island color using slope and noise maps
- Island Moss – Adding moss at ground level and basing it on the slope map
- Smaller Islands – complete procedural modeling of the smaller islands and adding vegetation on them
- Clouds – Modeling and lighting the cloud at the base
- Debris Field – modeling a fully animated debris field around the island using RBD and custom VOP forces
- Debris particles – adding additional details to the debris field using particles
- Waterfall – Creating a waterfall using the Houdini fluid systems
- Materials Light & Render – adding simple materials, building the lighting and setting up takes for the final render
- Final Look – Building the final look of the image in After Effects
DURATION – 7 hours 50 minutes
TRAINING LEVEL – Intermediate
REQUIREMENTS – Houdini 13. Packed primitives are used a great deal, these are only available in Houdini 13.
Houdini Tutorial : Floating Islands from helloluxx
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)